- For the website, see funamusea.com.
|“||I’m glad for the response from abroad. Thank you very much. I was surprised at first, given that I didn’t even think to see if access to it could come from overseas. To result in being kindly sent drawings, and able to receive thoughts and impressions… (When receiving something in a language I can’t read, I make good use of translation sites.) Things like this make me very, very happy.||”|
–Deep-Sea Prisoner, in an interview.
|Romaji Name||Kaitei Shuujin|
Video Game Developer
Deep-Sea Prisoner (海底囚人), commonly shortened to DSP, is a Japanese artist and game developer formerly known as Mogeko. She is well-known for creating games such as The Gray Garden and Wadanohara and the Great Blue Sea. She's a talented person working to create various games, comics, and other stories through various forms of media.
Deep-Sea Prisoner has stated that she no longer wishes to be called "Mogeko", as the name has developed a negative connotation and is associated with her fictional characters, "Mogeko", who are depicted as rapists.
Deep-Sea Prisoner has also stated that their site's name is 'Funamusea' whereas her alias is 'Deep-Sea Prisoner'; this is because website domains only accept English characters.
Creative process and environment
Deep-Sea Prisoner draws with a tablet pen. Most of the situations in her works - when they happen, and what feelings they’re meant to invoke - and materials are planned in a single notebook, or memos, that are used while working. The order is:
- Decide on a rough timeline of events
- Memos and materials
- Start creating when almost finished (little details are made up while making it)
Upon creating a story, she particularly focusses on the relationship between characters - who hates who and who likes who.
Deep-Sea Prisoner has also said that, with the exceptions of humans and some other groups, everyone in their creations is bisexual (unless stated otherwise) and that ideas such as gender and age are left as an afterthought in the creative process. She has also said that several of their characters are "without gender, or somewhere in the middle, so it’s pointless to even think about it".
Though some of her games, such as The Gray Garden and Wadanohara and the Great Blue Sea, have strong romantic elements already, Deep-Sea Prisoner is planning to make an "even stronger love-colored work" in the future. She also wants the characters from Wadanohara and the Great Blue Sea to appear in other tales.
Deep-Sea Prisoner had said that from now on she wants to "make things that are even more extreme".
Deep-Sea Prisoner's creations, especially Wadanohara and the Great Blue Sea, have received fairly positive reception overseas. Deep-Sea Prisoner says she's glad for the response from abroad and that she was surprised at first, but things like being kindly sent drawings and being able to receive thoughts and impressions make her very happy.
Deep-Sea Prisoner had been requested by a fan to draw the image in question. Once drawn, she posted it to her Tumblr blog: the drawing in question depicted Wadanohara being sexually assaulted by Syakesan, a scene already present in the game version of Wadanohara and the Great Blue Sea.
Many people were offended by the drawing, believing it to be supporting rape. Further aggravated by the appearance of Wadanohara, who, to any unfamiliar with Deep-Sea Prisoner's characters prior, assumed that the picture was simultaneously promoting pedophilia (It has been mentioned in passing by Deep-Sea Prisoner that the characters within Wadanohara and the Great Blue Sea are over a century in age, save for one exception).
In response to the reaction by the people of Tumblr, Deep-Sea Prisoner deleted the drawing from her Tumblr and apologized profusely, citing that was unaware of the offensive nature of the photo. However, the apology was not taken well, leading to continuous harassment of Deep-Sea Prisoner.
As the drama refused to simmer down Deep-Sea Prisoner deleted her Tumblr blog; this would lead to her adopting new policies in regards to the sharing of her games, as well as the usage of her creative media. She (temporarily) restricted the usage of her games to be for private usage, with livestreams and playthroughs of her games being forbidden, the only exception being translations in the form of live commentary. This ban has since been lifted.
Some issue also rose among Korean fans of Deep-Sea Prisoner, regarding Deep-Sea Prisoner's usage of the rising sun flag on her website. In some Asiatic countries (particularly Korea and China) the symbol is controversial and offensive, as it's viewed as a negative symbol of Japanese imperialism. Although Deep-Sea Prisoner has since apologized for her usage of the symbol, stating that she was unaware of the offensive connotation of the symbol; in Japan, the rising sun represents great fortune and is a common sight during New Year's time as a sign of good luck. Despite her apology, she continues to feature the symbol in her media. For unknown reasons, possibly related to this, Deep-Sea Prisoner has blocked Korean IP addresses. 
The following are some guidelines in regards of usage of Deep-Sea Prisoner's creative media. These guidelines have been outlined by Deep-Sea Prisoner herself.
- Do not reprint nor translate her works without written permission.
- Do not provide direct links to pictures on her website. Links to pages are fine.
- Using her art for things like headers, profile pictures, sidebars, backgrounds, etc. is fine by her, no problem at all.
- Screenshots of games are alright.
- Don’t make transparent background images of her art and upload it. One or two is okay, but reprinting the whole cast of a game is not okay.
- She'd prefer if you didn’t screenshot and post her emails because it makes her embarrassed.
- For translated versions, while she prefers it to be on one platform only, as long as it’s posted by the translator themselves, it's alright.
- For translated versions of spoiler-y or rated artworks, she's like for it to be under a Read More or something similar, with ample warnings.
- If you have any special reason to want to reprint her works, ask her directly via email . She can answer in basic English if you keep it simple.
- If you want to translate for her, you have to ask them directly.
- At the very, very, veeeeery worst, providing a link to the original when reprinting is acceptable, but she really, really doesn't want that. Her reason is that if you want to see her art, you can just access her site to begin with.
- For merchandise, as long as you’re not doing it for profit or commercially, and doing it as a fan, she doesn't have many issues whatsoever. But contact her just in case anyway.
- If you claim her art as yours, she will punch you.
The best way to contact her is through email or her Twitter. She is very approachable and friendly to her fans. Deep-Sea Prisoner knows a minimal amount of English, so do not be afraid to attempt and approach her with simple English. Additionally, Deep Sea Prisoner says that when she receives something in a language that she doesn't understand, she makes good use of translation sites.
- When asked about her favorite animal on Twitter, DSP responded by saying that her favorite animal is a dog. 
- One of Deep-sea Prisoner's favorite books is 'Paradise Lost' by John Milton. . This is also the book that Reficul and Elux's world/story is supposedly based on.
- When asked about her favorite music, DSP said she loves the music by the Japanese alternative rock group Bump of Chicken.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 http://surreelistic.tumblr.com/post/136166125320/funamusea-interview-translation
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 http://vgperson.tumblr.com/post/92471766605/mogeko-made-this-comment-on-their-blog-underneath
- ↑ http://greenpop.tumblr.com/post/91328244682/oh-come-on-more-theres-a-lot-of-drama-on
- ↑ http://aryll.tumblr.com/post/107164157310/i-dont-know-who-else-to-ask-who-speaks-english
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 http://mogeko-fc.deviantart.com/journal/General-Guidelines-Regarding-Mogeko-s-Artwork-483676183
- ↑ https://twitter.com/CeleCrypt/status/1266846870804017152
- ↑ https://twitter.com/kuuraokamii/status/1266833855987609601
- ↑ https://twitter.com/kiss200511/status/1266914642787471361
|General||Deep-Sea Prisoner · funamusea.com|
|Deep-Sea Prisoner's Works|
|Games||Carnival Rhythm* · Devil Girl Ivlin* · Garden Gray The · General Hashasky's Great Adventure* · Ice Scream · Mogeko Castle · The End of the Wonderland* · The Gray Garden · Wadanohara and the Great Blue Sea (Reboot)|
|Manga||Obsolete Dream · Seaside Dispatches 1 · Seaside Dispatches 2 · Wadanohara and the Great Blue Sea|
|Flash||Poison Bugs · The Sun's Curse|
|* = has yet to be released|